Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Talking Points* Multilingual Issues

Well Well, where do I begin? To start off I envy those who are multilingual. That truly is a gift. I find it funny how some people perceive those who speak more than one language, or better yet English is not a predominant language, to be slow learners. When we look at Rodriguez's article. I know personally I felt for him throughout the reading. He was not crying out for attention, however he was saying " listen, this is how it is, this is what I went through and after all that I realized that I gave up alot to be considered within the parameters of "social o.k.". Heres the thing, that is NOT okay. No one should have to give up what they believe, their customs, their identity for anything. Yes, I feel that a public and private life can be separate but not by force. Rodriguez had to give up his cultural customs and beliefs just to be accepted in society and more comfortable in school. He knew it wasn't going to be easy in the least bit, but he had an understanding that if he wanted to make it anywhere, unfortunately he would have to give up his private cultural individuality. He needed to remember that no matter how much he gave up his family would always be there and he would always have his culture in his heart. Being a white female from a middle class I really have no idea what it is like to conform in such a way where my cultural background and beliefs will be pushed aside. I was raised Catholic, my whole family, aunts and uncles, claim to be devout Catholics so when I decided to be more in tune with the practices of Hinduism I felt sort of out casted from my family because they found it appauling that I don't believe in God. First of all they didn't do any research and automatically assumed. As part of my religion I am encouraged to embrace other religious beliefs, so I learned to adapt. I didn't conform to the ideas of my family or the Catholic Church, but I did respect their values and embraced their beliefs and teachings. Today my mom is a little more understanding of my choice, but still pushes me to be Catholic because that's the "path" she supposes I am to walk down. In actuality I feel that there is no path and that the only path we have is the one behind us that we have made, we create our own paths as we learn and grow and if everyone was to conform to what is considered "ideal" we would all be on straight aways!

1 comment:

  1. Nice personal connections, Raschel. Say a little more about the text itself. Try to pose an argument and then choose 3 quotes to help you get at the details.

    ReplyDelete