Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gayness, Multicultural Education and Community

This article by Dennis Carlson argues that there shouldn't be a divide in speaking about gayness freely. He says that it is not talked about in schools and that it should be acceptable to talk about gayness considering that we are living in a new time and new times call for new and free expressions.

" GLBTQQI kids in support groups report they are afraid they are out of their minds, full of sin/sickness, doomed to dress as transvestites, molest children, hate the opposite sex, or contract AIDS." When I read this I felt so bad for these kids. Its sad to think that this is how these kids are forced to feel about themselves. Individuality is a beautiful thing and for that to be compromised because its a "tip-toe" subject gets me angry. I have 2 cousins and 2 uncles on my dads side who are gay and they are some of the funniest people I know. Growing up, I know for my cousins, was extremely hard. I remember them crying at my aunts house because they would get called a faggot or a fairy. I look at them now and they both work for Disney, one on ice and one as a dancer. The tables have turned now because the kids who used to make fun of them claim that they are friends because they know that my cousins actually made it somewhere and held onto their beliefs and sexuality.

 "(black, working class,female, homosexual, etc.) are dis empowered and represented as deviant, sick neurotic, criminal, lazy, lacking in intelligence, and other ways abnormal." This is the type of "coward shit" people say because they are ignorant and cannot accept that people can be different and be successful. I can't even begin to describe  how aggravating this quote is to me. I truly don't understand people who speak like this. Its words like these that make our country weaker, is it really that hard to be accepting? I haven't experienced this type of segregation personally, but it still bothers me. I know many blacks and homosexuals and I think of them and their struggles when I read things like this. Its upsetting and pointless, things need to change, if "America" is such a "melting pot" then why is there still so much bullshit?!

"English Literature anthologies still go out of their way to avoid acknowledging that certain famous writers were gay like Walt Whitman, Gertrude Stein, James Baldwin and Shakespeare." I thought about this quote for a little while because I remember reading Shakespeare in High School and we talked about his biography and the idea of him being gay was never spoken about. I feel like if we called it like it was from the start it would be more widely accepted and those who are gay would have role models to look up to. In a perfect world that would be a win win situation, however this is the world we live in today. 

More and more gayness is becoming more accepted in our society today, but in reality it shouldn't take this long. Honestly who cares, Whether your gay or straight your still a person with thoughts, feelings and beliefs. How is that any danger or threat to someone? Those who feel uncomfortable around it or talking about it, well advice for you, GET OVER IT! I'm sorry if I am ranting but I just get so aggravated because I look at my friends who are gay and I love them for they are as a person and what they contribute as my friends, not because they are gay. Also as far as gay marriage goes, let them get married for god sakes if they want to. Its their personal happiness not yours and as far as raising a family, I know some gay adults who would make better parents then a straight married couple. UHHH can't we all just get along, really its not that hard!

2 comments:

  1. your rant make my life happy.
    i know that sounds weird but im so serious.

    well put :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see a little fire in your belly... so now what do you do with it? Ultimately, what can teachers do to create safer, stronger spaces for LGBT kids?

    ReplyDelete