Monday, March 2, 2009

Unlearning the myths that blind us

The issue being argues here is that much of what we have been taught on how to see ourselves and others is hidden in messages of the media and cartoons. I remember watching cartoons as a kid, not thinking anything of what I saw other than bright colors and animals that made my saturdays more enjoyable.  It wasnt until  I got older that I began to realize some of the differentiations in the characters. All of the Disney Princesses are skinny and beautiful with bright eyes, slim waste and curves. the princes are always tall, well mannered, well dressed and handsome. There is much controversy on whether it has an effect on young children who are watching, my opinion...No. I truly believe that it is not the cartoons themselves that sway a childs opinion on what is "ideal" but i do however feel that it is the constant media outreach to children with make up kits for girls and dolls such as the BRATZ dolls. Seriously I would never allow my daughter to go out and wear clothing like that. Thats not how kids dress, thats not even how teens dress. Its how strippers and hookers dress. As far as the women characters always having feminine flare and girly interested being contradicting, I dont feel it is...Okay so they say well my daughter is a Lesbian and I feel that it was hard for her childhood seeing that all the cartoon women were feminine. I understand the point but in all honesty, if cartoons started making more choppy style women there would be even more question and controversy. The thing is cognitive development is essential at the childhood age and if the media began promoting more flamboyant male characters and less girly female characters children would question why they like toy cars or why girls like fluffy pink stuffed animals. Now when I say this next thing I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression...I feel as though being gay is not a normal phenomenon, when I say this I mean that it doesnt occur on a regular basis, sure there are many people who are gay and bisexual, but the majority are straight. Don't get me wrong those who are gay or bisexual are NORMAL and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. IT should be accepted however I feel that it is important to acknowledge the differences between male and female especially with toys and cartoons. Pink for girls Blue for boys, but in any case if your son picks out a pick thermos or your daughter picks out blue rain boots, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those choices. As important as it is to keep these differences, it is just as important to accept and encourage that behavior to show that their choices are not wrong. 
"If the race of the character is the only thing changing, the injustices will still remain." No matter what color you change the character the same issues will still arise, they will still be in distress, pretty and in search for true love. When Walt Disney created his characters he wasn't concerned with the race controversy, because back then it was considered "ideal" and "normal". Yes, times have changed but there is no reason why these cartoons should be getting all the back lash. I love Disney and I have nothing against anything tat he has created. In fact if his movies seemed racist its only because we see things differently now in today's standards but back then that was normal and not considered what we see now...sorry guys that's how I feel.

1 comment:

  1. No need to apologize for your perspective, Raschel! But I want to see you dissect the ideas you present a little more clearly. First, name Christensen's point more specifically and then break down your thoughts into contained specific points so that your argument is stronger. If you articulate your claims with strong, clear evidence it will be more compelling.

    ReplyDelete